North Fork Fire prompts pre-evac

Two roadside fires along Highway 274 prompted a pre evacuation order for residents of Putney Place in the community of North Fork, Monday about 2 p.m., according to officials.

The alerts to area residents went out via text and the reverse 911 system initiated by the Madera County Sheriff’s Department, and asked that residents remained vigilant.

Supervisor Tom Wheeler, District 5, lives about a mile or two from the area of the fires said the pre evacuation orders were precautionary and firefighters were optimist they would be able to stop the blaze from spreading by later today.

“But it’s so darn dry and hot, it is really scary when something like this breaks out. Two fires along a roadside are also sure a little suspicious to me.” Wheeler said.

98 percent of all wildfires are human caused according to Calfire, either accidentally or intentionally. Lightning or incidents with power lines cause the remaining 2 percent of fires.

The cause of the fire is under investigation and has not yet been determined.

Anyone with information on the possible cause of the fires is asked to contact Calfire authorities.