top of page

The mystery behind the town of Borden




For The Madera Tribune

The Borden Hotel was the town’s last structure. When it was razed, all that remained was the Borden Chinese Cemetery.

 

When the folks in charge of the High Speed Rail began first to talk of starting the project at Borden, folks all over the state began to ask, “Where is Borden?” The answer came swiftly; it was a tiny, 19th century town about four miles south of Madera. 


Not long after that, some people wanted to now how it got its name, and that answer came just as quickly. It was named by Leland Stanford in 1872, after Dr. Joseph Borden. When the Governor made an inspection of the area that year, the good doctor showed him such fine Southern hospitality that Stanford decreed the place would henceforth be known as Borden. 


Well, not long after that, the question arose, “Who was Dr. Borden,” and that answer came from a Madera cemetery. 

Comentários


bottom of page