top of page

Two minutes doom Coyote soccer

Wendy Alexander/The Madera Tribune

Madera defender Kevin Abundis tries to keep possession during Friday’s County/Metro Athletic Conference loss to the Edison Tigers.


For most of 78 minutes, the Madera Coyote boys soccer team had the upper-hand against County/Metro Athletic Conference foe Edison-Fresno. However, it was the other two minutes that led to a 2-1 CMAC-opening loss in memorial Stadium.

The Tigers scored on a penalty kick in the final minute of the first half and added a go-ahead goal in the second minute of the second half for Friday’s victory.

“We had two mental mistakes in about two minutes,” head coach Nic Landeros said. “That was the difference in the game. We had more possessions, more chances and we were the dominant team today. The final product didn’t fall. It’s how the season is going.”

The Coyotes got a goal from Ricardo Lopez in the 37th minute to take the early lead. However, the Coyotes suffered their sixth one-goal loss in 11 defeats, including losing their last 10 matches.

“These kids are ready to go back to work to get ready for Wednesday’s game,” Landeros said. “They guys aren’t going to let this streak get to them.”

Madera will try to break its streak tonight against Bullard-Fresno in Memorial Stadium at 5 p.m.

“I honestly think once we get one win and get the pressure relieved, we will turn that into a winning streak,” Landeros said. “If we get hot at the right time, we can finish in the top of the CMAC and the top of the playoffs. We’re better than our record. It shows and we’ve been on the wrong end of luck. Soccer is a cruel game at times.”

Neither team had quality chances in the first half of the match, but the Coyotes just missed on a golden chance in the 26th minute.

Lopez sent a ball in front for Jose Venegas, whose shot on goal was blocked out. Orlando Fuentes came in and hit the rebound on goal. However, the ball was knocked out of the goal before it crossed the end line by an Edison defender. Off that rebound, Antonio Hernandez’s header went out of bounds.

In the 32nd minute, Raul Rivera fed Gerardo Cabrera in front. Cabrera shot with the goalkeeper coming on him, but the shot was blocked with a dive.

The Coyotes got on the board five minutes later. Cabrera sent a long shot on goal, but it hit off the crossbar. However, Lopez was right there to head it into the goal for the 1-0 lead.

In the final minute of the first half, an Edison attacker was tackled from behind in the goalkeeper’s box and the Tigers received a penalty kick. Edison scored with a shot into the upper right corner to tie the match before the half.

Edison took the second half kickoff and took the ball to the right, in front of a Madera defender. Edison crossed the ball and the Tigers scored on a one touch on the left for a 2-1 lead.

The Coyotes got a free kick from about 20 yards out, but shot over the goal. Another free kick three minutes later was deflected out from about 30 yards out.

Madera goalkeeper Juan Daza kept the Coyotes within a goal with back-to-back diving saves in the 18th minute.

Later, Edison sent a free kick to the middle of the goal and Edison got a touch on the ball, sending to the net. However, Daza made a diving save on the end like to keep the Coyotes within one. Daza made another diving save on a ball in front in the 30th minute.

Madera had a final chance to tie the score in the 33rd minute. David Gomez got by a defender and shot on goal, but the ball hit off the right post and was cleared out.


bottom of page