top of page

Coyotes unable to maintain quick start in loss

After scoring the first goal of the game, the Madera Coyotes boys soccer team failed to convert on its chances in a 4-1 County/Metro Athletic Conference loss to San Joaquin Memorial-Fresno at Lee DaSilva Field in Memorial Stadium.

“At this point in the season, it’s all about executing and we’re failing to execute, especially in the big moments,” Madera head coach Nic Landeros said. “We can’t really make any excuses. This late in the season, we should be able to find ways to scrap out a win.”

Madera opened the match with an early goal behind Ricardo Lopez and the tone seemed to be set for the Coyotes. However, according to Landeros, the boys got complacent, allowing the Panthers to run away with the match scoring four unanswered goals.

“We got on the front foot right away, we got the goal in the 13th minute and I think once we got that goal, the boys became content,” Landeros said. “They were satisfied with getting a good start instead of going out and trying to get another. The urgency kind of fell, so the intensity went down and we let Memorial back into the game.

“When we give ourselves a big hole to climb out of, it’s a little too late. We should not be letting teams back into the game especially after he had a good start.”

The Coyotes’ lead lasted about 20 minutes before the Panthers began to loosen up. In the 31st minute, San Joaquin Memorial tied the score behind Max Arfsten, who received a pass in the box before putting the ball away for the score.

The Panthers capitalized on a free kick after heading into the half tied at one.

The ball was sent into the heart of the Madera penalty area before the ball bounced off a Panther head, into the ground and in the back of the net. Madera keeper Francisco Segovia had his vision impaired from the ball to allow the goal.

With less than eight minutes remaining in the match, the Coyotes found themselves trailing 2-1.

Although Madera had a chance early in the second half, Alan Diaz-Barraga made it 3-1 with a thunderous free kick from 20 yards out to seal the game for the visitors.


bottom of page