Mom of disabled student mistakenly fed bleach sues Fresno district
FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — The mother of a Fresno severely disabled student who was accidentally given a bleach solution through her feeding tube is suing the school district for negligence and emotional distress.
The Fresno Bee reported (http://bit.ly/2j8YwBX ) Tuesday that court documents filed last week claim the 10-year-old Addicott Elementary School student was administered bleach through her feeding tube in September.
The lawsuit says that led to permanent damage to her trachea, esophagus, stomach and lungs. The complaint accuses the Fresno Unified School District of hiring incompetent staff who improperly stored feeding and cleaning supplies which allowed them to be switched.
The mother claims she was not immediately notified that her daughter had ingested bleach, only being told her child was sick until she threatened to take her daughter to the hospital.
Fresno Unified did not respond to a request for comment Tuesday.