COVID cases increase in county
Wendy Alexander/The Madera Tribune
Katelyn Nelson, a coach at TEC Gymnastics, wears a mask and takes safety precautions as she checks students and visitors in.
There were 135 new cases between Saturday and Sunday, bringing the total number of cases to 713. More details on cases will be available at 4 p.m. during the normally scheduled update.
As mentioned last week, Madera, along with the state, is monitoring county COVID statistics including cases, positivity rate, test per population, hospitalizations, ICU beds and ventilators available.
On July 4, Madera County was placed on the monitoring list by the California Department of Public Health due to elevated disease transmission. Elevated transmission refers to a rate of more than 100 new cases per 100,000 for 14 days.
The county currently has a 14-day cumulative incidence rate of 236.57 per 100,000 population. In addition, the 7-day test positivity rate is 11.1 percent. The threshold for positivity rate is 8 percent.
As of today, Madera County is on day three of placement on the state monitoring list. Based on the state requirements, after three consecutive days, a three week closure of the following must be implemented:
Indoor operations of:
• Wineries and tasting rooms
• Movie theaters
• Family entertainment centers (for examples: bowling alleys, miniature golf, batting cages and arcades)
• Zoos and museums
The date of these closures were determined Tuesday afternoon.
Investigations are under way for several outbreaks for which test results are pending at congregate living facilities (e.g., group living facilities, etc.). In a congregate setting, even one case can be defined as an outbreak.
• Follow the guidance for safe activities including the mandate to wear a face covering.
• Stop gathering socially. If you must gather, reduce the risks by gathering outside, wear face coverings, and distance.
• Stay home if you are sick or if you have been around someone else who is sick.
• Self-isolate at home from other family members if you are sick: sleep and eat separately.
• Business owners — make a plan for safe operation; Customers — support businesses that operate safely.