The Madera Tribune

Maderan happy over checkup plan

Most newspaper content here is incomplete. Want it all? Sooner? Subscribe to our full print and online editions by calling (559) 674-4207 and get both for the price of one!

webmaster | 12/03/12

I am happy to see (The Madera Tribune, Nov. 15) that Madera County (sponsored by the sheriff’s department) will be having phone checks for seniors. My question is, do I have to be on Medi-Cal to get these services?

I have a disability and need in-home health care. I had a lady working for me, which I found out she was doing computer work on my time and pay. I terminated her because I felt abused by what she had done. I called Social Services and the lady I talked to told me that they could not help me unless I had Medi-Cal. Bottom line I think someone should have come to talk to me.

This is the order the phone calls were put in to report to Social Services:

Chamber of Commerce was called at 675-3563. Then Social Services 675-2300. I was given a number to call the hotline 675-7838. I called 662-8300 and was told my abuse call was not an abuse and that Social Services could not help me unless I had Medi-Cal. She said call the police, 675-4200, and I did, and the person I spoke to at the office said to get an attorney and of course I didn’t want to do that so I just left things alone.

AARP Centers for Medicare and Medicaid say that in 2012 and 2013 you have to go to these welfare agencies and you have to call Medi-Cal before you can get Medicare.

Welfare is needed for many people and many who are on it don’t even need it.

I would not mind being on welfare (she isn’t now) as they are the wealthy ones, nice cars, given a home for shelter, stamps for food, all the medical bills paid for, prescriptions paid for, they even have more money than lots of seniors.

As for Social Services I am truly shocked by the tone of voice of the lady in the office.

I stop my complaint and rest my case.

Genie Wheat,


comments powered by Disqus