Serving the heart of California since 1892

The Madera Tribune

Man seriously injured in explosion

Most newspaper content here is incomplete. Want it all? Sooner? Subscribe to our full print and online editions by calling (559) 674-4207 and get both for the price of one!

webmaster | 11/20/12

A fire and explosion of unknown origin seriously injured a Madera man in his late 30s and destroyed a 900-sq.-ft. residence at Country View Kennels, in the 25000 block of Avenue 20 1/2 near Road 26, Sunday night.

The man’s name is not being released. He was taken to Community Regional Medical Center with burns over much of his body, a firefighter said.

City of Madera Battalion Fire Chief Rhonda Myers said the incident was under investigation.

“The fire was in a converted garage residence, with his (dog) grooming operation on the one side. It was 50 percent involved when we arrived. We are not sure what the explosion was from. It could have been an accumulation of propane from the stove ... and he told (deputies) it went up as he lit a cigarette. Smoking is being investigated as a factor. The kennels were way out back and were not affected,” Myers said...


comments powered by Disqus