Firefighters stop chimney fire from spreading

Note: Most newspaper content reprinted here is incomplete and delayed. Want it all? Sooner? You can subscribe to our full print and online editions by calling (559) 674-4207 and get both editions for the price of one!

webmaster | 02/24/12
Author(s): 

A chimney fire Thursday morning damaged a home in the 26000 block of Old Mill Drive, according to the Madera County Fire Department.

Fire Capt. Les Russell said the residents were home and called 911 just before 10 a.m. when they began to smell a slight odor of smoke in the house and living room.

“Once they went outside, they saw smoke coming from the roof and chimney area. A wood stove was in use (for heating) in the living room,” Russell said. “The heat from the fire had apparently burned through the flue wall or heated surrounding the wood enough to ignite insulation, and/or wood. The fire was burning above the ceiling and drywall, near the roof line.”

Firefighters were able to stop the fire from spreading further into the roof and attic of the house...

 

comments powered by Disqus