An old barn went up in flames Thursday afternoon on the southeast corner of Avenue 12, near Highway 145 after a spark landed in a pile of stored wood, according to the Madera County Fire Department.
Battalion Chief Mike Surber said the fire was accidental, and that the barn, coincidentally, was about to be demolished.
“The owner was removing old farm equipment from inside when a spark from the metal being drug on the concrete slab landed in stored, dry materials inside the barn. Due to the age of the barn and materials inside it went up very quickly,” Surber said.
The owner said he had just gotten some farm equipment pulled outside and unhooked it from the tractor, when he looked back over his shoulder and saw the smoke...