Three young dogs have been abandoned over the past few weeks at the Madera County Animal Shelter with chemical burns on their backs, and shelter personnel believe the burns may have been caused by a home flea treatment gone wrong.
“We don’t know exactly what it is or where they came from,” said Kirsten Gross, animal shelter director. “(The application of the agent that caused the burn) appears to be intentional, and is some kind of chemical burn, according to the vet who examined them. It could be a home remedy or attempt at flea treatment. Normally, we don’t see this type of reaction or burns from regular commercial flea drops or treatments,” she said.
Gross said the location of the burn on the spine and shoulders was the same area where chemical flea drop treatments are normally applied.
“But this area of injury is way too large. And from the age of the burns, it appears to be just one application, starting at the shoulders and going all the way to the tail. But this appears to something like a half of a cup of liquid poured on them, from the size and area of the burns. Then all the hair fell out and the burns became infected, and required medical treatment,” Gross said...