Serving the heart of California since 1892

The Madera Tribune

Dog dies in fire; two residents displaced

Most newspaper content here is incomplete. Want it all? Sooner? Subscribe to our full print and online editions by calling (559) 674-4207 and get both for the price of one!

webmaster | 01/16/12

A home in the 2600 block of Sandalwood Drive, off north Grenada Drive, was heavily damaged by fire and smoke after a resident accidentally spilled a flammable liquid in the front room on the carpet and couch, Madera County Fire Battalion Chief Lisa Anderson said.

The fire was reported to authorities about 9:45 p.m. Saturday and may have started some minutes earlier. No injuries were reported, but the resident’s small dog died of smoke inhalation. The two who lived in the home were displaced by the fire, she said.

Anderson said the resident told fire crews he attempted to put out the fire himself and did not call 911 to report it. The resulting delay caused the house to fill with smoke and could have resulted in serious injuries to the occupants or the complete loss of the house, Anderson said.

Residents should always call 911 and report a fire first, even if they are going to try to extinguish it, Anderson said...


comments powered by Disqus