More glimpses of Madera 100 years ago

Note: Most newspaper content reprinted here is incomplete and delayed. Want it all? Sooner? You can subscribe to our full print and online editions by calling (559) 674-4207 and get both editions for the price of one!

webmaster | 05/22/12
Author(s): 

Madge Cook was born in Madera in 1904. Eightyfive years later, she made a presentation before the Madera County Historical Society in which she gave the highlights of her memories of early Madera.

Last week Pieces of the Past published the first installment of those recollections and today we offer part two. Madge is recalling Madera as she remembered it in 1912.

“The Sugar Pine Lumber Co. (was) located in Madera... east of town. There were a large number of employees and many of them lived near Vineyard Avenue and east of there. The green lumber came down the 62 mile-long flume and was cut and stacked in the local yard for sale. A load of blocks (which were the odds and ends cut from the boards) sold for $1, and people used them for firewood. The Sugar Pine Co. had a downtown office where Curtin and Fleming are located.

“Mace’s Yosemite Hotel was a two-story hotel and probably the largest in town. There were other hotels — the Southern Hotel on North B Street and Barsotti’s on the west side of town. The Southern Hotel advertised a ‘first class family hotel — no liquor sold.’ Barsotti advertised meals for 25 cents...

 

comments powered by Disqus