Don’t you just love a bowl of hearty, hot soup when the chill of fall (or even winter) is in the air? Okay, I know some people just don’t like soup, but if they will excuse the rest of us for a bit, let’s check out some recipes that will warm your tummy and put a smile on your face. Of course, some fresh rolls or bread go great with soup. Or maybe crackers! Get yourself a bowl and sit down to join me!
Chunky potato and Swiss chowder
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups thinly sliced leek (about 2 large)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold potato (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup cubed carrot (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 cup cubed yellow squash
- 2 (15.75-oz.) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup hot cooked wild rice
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Fresh chopped parsley (optional)
1. Heat a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add leek and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in potato and next 4 ingredients (parsley through bay leaves); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaves.
2. Place half of the potato mixture in a blender and process until smooth. Return pureed potato mixture to pan, stir in rice and the remaining ingredients except parsley. Cook over medium heat until cheese melts. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired. Makes 5 (1 1/2 cup) servings...