25 years ago in the week of June 24, 1988

Note: Most newspaper content reprinted here is incomplete and delayed. Want it all? Sooner? You can subscribe to our full print and online editions by calling (559) 674-4207 and get both editions for the price of one!

webmaster | 06/25/13
Author(s): 

SCOTT RESIGNS MHS BASEBALL JOB — Ron Scott has submitted his letter of resignation as the Madera High School head baseball coach. “I am resigning my coaching position so I can pursue other career objectives, hopefully at the college level,” Scott said. Winning is something that has been familiar to Scott both in his six years at Madera and in the previous four years at Chowchilla. There are rumors that Scott is being recruited by Fresno City College. A press conference has been called for Thursday to announce a change in the school’s baseball program.

MAN CHARGED WITH RUNNING OVER WOMAN’S FOOT — A 25-year-old woman who limped away from the scene of a hit-and-run accident last week took down the license number of the vehicle that ran over her foot and led police to arrest the driver of the car. The driver said he had picked the woman up on C Street and was heading home when she jumped out of the car. He said he stopped the car, but the woman got up and walked to the curb, so he continued home. The woman was treated at Madera Community Hospital for an injury to her ankle and released. The man was booked on a felony charge of hit-and-run driving.

SUPERVISORS DENY REQUEST TO EMPLOY COURT CLERK’S DAUGHTER — Supervisors denied a request by Madera Justice Court Judge Victor Dahman to allow the daughter of one of the clerks in his office to work at a part-time, temporary position by citing the county’s code against nepotism. The vote was 4-1, with Supervisor Jess Lopez casting the dissenting vote. He argued that the teenager had performed volunteer work in the office before and would not be under the supervision of her mother. Other supervisors disagreed and voted not to approve a waiver of the code.

VANDALS DAMAGE TOMBSTONES AT CEMETERY — The vandals who struck Arbor Vitae Cemetery sometime Thursday night inflicted thousands of dollars in damage, turning over 74 tombstones and breaking or shattering more than three-fourths of them, according to general foreman Ernie Villarreal. Police will press felony charges if the vandals who left footprints behind can be found. Maurice Cappelluti, chairman of the cemetery board, joined Villarreal in assessing the damage. They said that some of the tombstones were antiques from the 1800s and are irreplaceable...

 

comments powered by Disqus