As cranes eased the granite block into place on the morning of Oct. 29, 1900, construction of the Madera County Courthouse began.
Madera County has produced its share of rough and tumble, two-fisted drinking, street fighting pioneers. They pop up all through the pages of local history to spice up the pieces of our past.
John Robert Nichols has been given credit for being the first Anglo settler in the Fresno Flats area, arriving there in 1858. Located near the head of the Fresno River, White Ash trees abounded.
The history of law enforcement in Madera for the most part reflects the very best of the town’s past.
In the fall of 1873, one of California’s most notorious bandits, Tiburcio Vasquez, went on a robbing rampage, which brought him to the foothills of what is now Madera County.
Harry St. John Dixon was fully a product of his time and place. He was born in Mississippi, fought for the Confederacy, and after the war, turned his back on his devastated homeland.
The 60-mile flume, which gave birth to Madera, carried more than one billion feet of lumber from the mountains toward the mill near where Millview School now stands.